Epsom Salt Scrub -an easy recipe for exfoliating the skin (body). Epsom salt scrub & Dead Sea Salts are my favourite for exfoliation.
What is an Epsom Salt? These mineral compounds, found in Surrey, England, is not the same as Dead Sea Salts found in the Middle East.
Epsom Salt takes its name “from a bitter saline spring in Epsom in Surrey, England, where the salt was produced from the springs that arise where the porous chalk of the North Downs meets non-porous London clay”- Source
If you do not already have Epsom Salts in your homes, You should get one. Epsom Salts have numerous benefits for the body and face.
10 Benefits of Epsom Salts:
1. It is mighty relaxing – in theory, Epsom salt helps relax the body & loosen stiff muscles.
2. A handful of Epsom salt scrub can greatly exfoliate your skin and remove dead skin to your delight
3. Bye bye Acne, because Epsom Salts has the ability to exfoliate the skin and remove oil on the outside. With the dead skin out, the pores can breathe.
4. Oh Callused feet- it’s well known that the lethal combination of Epsom Salt & Tea Tree oil combats callused feet like no other. All you need is some Epsom salt, lukewarm water and your feet in that mixture.
(Hey! Put three drops of tea tree oil in there for maximum benefits). Get your feet baby skin soft. A handful of Epsom salt to the heel of your feet already soaked in like warm water for a few minutes can do the trick too.
5. I’m all for the fancy spa treatment to pamper the skin HOWEVER, a mixture of Epsom salt with your favourite shower gel to your feet, elbows, knees and you’d get the rough skin all smooth in no time. Just be consistent.
6. Epsom Salt is not to be confused as Dead Sea salt. Both are highly beneficial in their own capacities.
7. They are Magnesium sulphate therefore, highly recommended for relieving skin conditions & Arthritis.
8. It helps in insomnia too. Usually when I’m up at night and I have not had a decent soak of Epsom salt, I simply put some in spray bottle with water. A little spritz on my feet and the vampire life is over for the day.
9. Common concerns of dry itchy skin? Say no more. As this is not restricted to age, Epsom salts can improve the texture of dry itchy skin with consistent salt baths. Ensure to rinse your body thoroughly after salt baths. It is not a leave-in skin conditioner
10. Epsom salt makes a great exfoliating Scrub.
- 2/3 cups -Epsom salt is the main ingredient for making Epsom salt scrubs
- Lavender (essential) oil
- Vitamin E oil ( Mine has a combination of sunflower seed oil, Rice bran, wheat germ and apricot kernel oil)
- A jar to store it up
- Clean bowl
- Spoon to stir mixture
How To Make A Simple Epsom salt scrub
- Get a clean bowl, put 2/3 cups of Epsom salts
- 3 table spoons of vitamin E oil
- 2 drops of Lavender oil
- Optional- sweet Almond oil or any non comedogenic oil (so it wouldn’t block your pores)
- Stir properly
- Store in a glass jar. I use Le parfait French jar
- I sprinkle some Sandalwood powder too.
And…voila!!!!!!!! You’ve got a Lavender Epsom salt scrub. Make one for a friend too
Tips: To use, apply a tablespoon at a time to your skin. I prefer dry exfoliation. Gently masssage the scrub on your entire body working your way from your feet up. Rinse the scrub with lukewarm water and a washcloth if you must. Lukewarm water is essential.
A handful of Epsom salt to the body- Instant glow!
Be careful not to get your wet hands into the jar or water at all. Moist areas are hot beds for bacteria so avoid at all costs. Xo